Do you regularly call extensions for your work or personal phone calls? If so, you’re probably sick of dialing through phone trees to get to the person you want to reach. We’ll show you how to dial an extension on iPhone to skip the whole phone-tree nonsense, and how to add an extension to a phone number in Contacts for later use.
How to Dial an Extension on an iPhone
We’ll start by showing you how to call an extension number, then in the next section, we’ll cover how to add a phone extension to a number in iPhone contacts. To learn more iPhone tips and device hacks, sign up for our free Tip of the Day newsletter. Here’s how to dial an extension on iPhone:
1. Open the Phone app.
2. Dial the main number you’re calling.
3. Long press the * key (asterisk) until a comma appears. The comma acts as a pause and lets your phone know it’s dialing an extension.
4. Now enter the extension number after the comma.
5. Tap the green phone button and you’ll dial straight to the person you’re trying to reach.
If you’d like to learn how to add an extension to a contact on iPhone, keep reading!
How to Save Extensions in Your iPhone Contacts
If you plan to regularly call a phone number extension, you can save it in your Contacts. That way, the next time you go to dial the extension, it will already be saved as it needs to be dialed. Here’s how to save a number with the extension to your Contacts on iPhone:
1. Open the Contacts app.
2. For our how-to, we’re assuming you already have the number saved. If not, simply create a new contact by tapping the plus icon.
3. Tap on the contact that you want to add an extension for.
4. Tap Edit in the upper-right corner.
5. Tap the number you’re adding the extension to, or tap the + icon next to add phone to add a new phone number for the contact.
6. Tap the symbols button on your keyboard.
7. With the cursor at the end of the phone number, tap Pause to insert a comma.
8. Now enter the extension.
9. Tap Done to save.
Now you can dial an extension before you even get to the operator, and you can also add these auto-dialed extensions to your contacts as well.