Adding new counter stools for kitchen island or barstools to your kitchen is such a great way to instantly update your space.
So today I’m sharing some simple tips on how to choose the best counter stools for your kitchen, along with a measuring guide for selecting the right stool height, images of kitchens featuring different styles of stools, places to shop for counter stools and barstools in 2023, and more.
1. How to choose the right stool height for your kitchen island
If you’re wondering whether you need counter stools or bar stools for your kitchen
Here’s the perfect way to choose the right stool height and make the best choice for your kitchen island:
- The first thing is to measure the height of your kitchen island (or bar area).
- If the island height is 36″ to 39″, a counter stool (24″ to 26″ seat height) is the best option for your kitchen.
- If the island height is 40″ to 42″, a bar stool (28″ to 30″ seat height), is the best choice for your kitchen.
- Allow 9 to 12 inches between the top of the seat and the bottom of the counter or bar to allow for leg room.
2. Kitchen Counter Stool & Barstool Ideas and Inspiration Photos
If you live in a home where the kitchen, family room, and breakfast nook all meet, like ours does
If your kitchen is pretty simple and needs a bit of a “wow factor,” think about choosing counter stools or bar stools that will act as a statement piece or focal point.
However, if your kitchen already has a lot going going on, like a patterned backsplash or statement light fixtures
It’s a good idea to choose something more subtle or neutral, for a simple look.
For more ideas, here are some great examples of how various styles of counter stools and bar stools can enhance the kitchen in different ways.
3. Counter stools for kitchen: In a modern coastal kitchen
Choosing stools made from natural materials is a great way to add a modern coastal look to your kitchen.
I love the fresh, modern look of the subtly-striped counter stools in the beautiful kitchen design below. And here’s where you can find the beautiful pendant light fixtures.
This lovely coastal cottage kitchen features easy-care woven counter stools, brass lantern pendant lighting, a light grey-blue island, and white kitchen cabinets.
Creating a bold statement, these striped director’s style barstools are the perfect choice in this stylish modern coastal kitchen. The island color is Sherwin Williams Smoky Candle
Stylish woven rope counter stools bring a modern coastal feeling to this light and airy kitchen. The beautiful woven pendant lights are a favorite, too
4. Counter stools for kitchen: In a classic kitchen
A classic kitchen design is the perfect spot for these seagrass counter stools, along with white floor-to-ceiling cabinets and glass and brass pendant lights.
This timeless coastal kitchen design features white cabinets paired with woven counter stools.
Unique woven stools and chic cone pendant lights bring warmth and interest to this timeless kitchen design
5. Counter stools for kitchen: In a modern farmhouse kitchen
Stylish counter stools made of natural materials are the perfect solution in this lovely kitchen
The counter stools in the beautiful modern farmhouse kitchen shown below are the perfect mix of timeless and contemporary style.